Nutrition is a science, but its application is an art, and our Active IQ Level 4 qualification in Nutrition Coaching seeks to help you bridge the gap between the two. This online nutrition course is ideal for current coaches to upskill, for anyone who is looking to move into nutrition coaching as a job or side project, or for anyone looking for the next level in nutrition mastery.
You’ll learn about nutrition, of course, but on top of that you’ll also be given the skills and support you need to work with real people, in the real world, and truly make a difference in their lives. Spanning 12 months and four bespoke textbooks, this online course is taught by dieticians, sports nutritionists, university lecturers, psychologists, GB athletes and experienced coaches, ensuring that the information you’re given isn’t just evidence based, but practically relevant to you and everyone you coach.
No prior knowledge is necessary, though we strongly recommend you check out the BTN Foundation Academy if you’ve never studied nutrition before. We’re available globally and can accommodate people from any time zone, all you need is a passion to master nutrition and the art of coaching.
Features and benefits
- Know how to work with a diverse range of clients, with completely different goals
- Massively improve client adherence using the science of behaviour change
- Truly master the anatomy, physiology and endocrinology relevant to nutrition
- Improve your client communication, helping you to navigate client barriers
- Learn how to properly monitor consistency and adherence over time
- Develop ways in which you can provide accountability, mentorship, and support to the client’s you coach
- Be able to assess nutrition clients effectively and efficiently
- Be able to set clients up for long-term, sustainable success
- Increase your critical thinking skills, so you can keep progressing long after you graduate
- Join the BTN community, a group of coaches committed to changing lives
- Learn around work and home life, in your own time
- Gain an Active IQ Level 4 qualification in Nutrition Coaching
The Practical Academy is now closed and will reopen in October 2019. Please note that the early bird pay in full offer is only available to the first 100 students.
FAQsHow long will it take?
As a Personal Trainer you have access to your clients for only a few hours per week, limiting the effect you can have with them. By offering nutrition coaching as an additional service alongside your exercise coaching you open the door to far better results with clients, leading to better testimonials and more clients over time. Nutrition Coaching is also something you can offer as a separate service, enabling you to enter the online marketplace
Nutrition coaching should always be sold as a stand-alone product or package within a business, and so those who aren’t personal trainers are just as capable of offering a nutrition coaching service as those who are. If you have no interest in working with people in a gym environment but want to help change lives through health and nutritional management then this course can help you do just that.
This is a really common sentiment, but it's extremely understandable for two reasons.
- Biology is hard
- Biology is often taught in a way that isn't very engaging
We can't promise that the more in depth anatomy and physiology on our course is easy, but we can promise that we make it as engaging as possible, deliver it in multiple different styles, limit it to only what you NEED to know, and are continually on hand to help and support your understanding. Our course is a million miles away from "read this in a book then recite it in an exam or you fail" so don't worry if you don't consider yourself to be scientifically minded.
The barrier is almost always in the teaching, not in the student, and we make it our mission to support you however you need us to.
ModulesModule 1: The science of nutrition coaching
- Lesson 1: Course introduction/What is evidence based practice?
- Lesson 2: What is health?
- Lesson 3: Critical thinking
- Lesson 4: Reading research - What do we need?
- Lesson 5: The digestive system
- Lesson 6: The fasted and fed states
- Lesson 7: Energy production and protein synthesis
- Lesson 8: Coaching weight loss - The stages of change
- Lesson 9: Coaching weight loss - Barriers and addiction
- Lesson 10: Coaching weight loss - Nutritional programming
- Lesson 11: Case study - Weight loss client
- Lesson 12: Nutritional strageties to maximise hypertrophy
- Lesson 13: Effective consultations
- Lesson 14: Tracking and monitoring body composition
- Lesson 15: Tracking and monitoring nutrient intakes
- Lesson 16: Effective online coaching
- Lesson 17: Food environment and habits
- Lesson 18: Group online weight loss coaching
- Lesson 19: Stress and your clients' progress
- Lesson 20: Motivational interviewing
- Lesson 21: Alcohol
- Lesson 22: Case study - Shift worker
- Lesson 23: Evidence based nutrition for endurance sports
- Lesson 24: Assisted athletes
- Lesson 25: Team sports nutrition
- Lesson 26: Coaching bodybuilding competition preparation
- Lesson 27: Nutritional considerations for making weight
- Lesson 28: Female clients
- Lesson 29: Pre and post natal clients
- Lesson 30: Case study - Crossfit athlete
- Lesson 31: Intermittent fasting
- Lesson 32: Child nutrition
- Lesson 33: Helping clients with diabetes
- Lesson 34: Helping clients with PCOS
- Lesson 35: Injury recovery nutrition
- Lesson 36: Ketogenic dieting
- Lesson 37: Allergy, intolerances and the immune system
- Lesson 38: IBS
- Lesson 39: Plant based nutrition
- Lesson 40: Elderly clients
- Lesson 41: Eating disorders in the fitness industry
- Lesson 42: Case study - PCOS
- Lesson 43: Case study - Female client with multiple barriers
- Lesson 44: Exam preparation/Final Q&A
What trusted industry figures recommend us?
We get asked by a number of our Personal Training graduates where they can further their education in the field of nutrition. Through extensive research in the area, we have chosen to recommend BTN Academy. This is because we believe that the level and depth of their syllabus is comprehensive and also practical for nutritional coaches. The syllabus is taught by industry professionals and well-educated lecturers in their field and also you are gaining an accredited qualification.
I recommend the BTN Academy to any personal trainer who wants to improve their knowledge and practical skills when it comes to nutrition coaching. Unlike a lot of other nutrition courses, BTN goes beyond nutrition and into what really gets results for clients; behaviour change. Then, they really set themselves apart by teaching you how to build an ethical and profitable nutrition coaching program for your business.
Something that struck me upon meeting and interacting with Ben Coomber several years ago, was his integrity. As one of my own education companies core values I viewed this with huge respect as my 30yrs of industry experience has taught me this is a rare quality. Investing in education can be scary for many, so choose wisely. We recommend anyone interested in nutrition education to BTN because of their integrity, teaching quality, and standards.
I send so many of my business mentees to the BTN academy. I know they'll be looked after and educated on not only the aspects of nutrition, but on how best to implement it with their own clients. The modules on how to use an evidence backed approach and navigate through the amount of online nutritional misconceptions is invaluable to anybody who wants to expand their own knowledge on nutrition. I highly recommend it for any personal trainers looking to better serve their clients or any individual looking to expand on their own nutritional knowledge
Norfolk Health and Fitness
Norfolk Health and Fitness owner and managing director, highly recommends the BTN Academy due to the tutor knowledge and support they provide to their learners. Knowing their courses are accredited by highly respected awarding bodies. I have referred any of our learners to the BTN Academy who wish to taking their knowledge in nutrition to the next level.