Nutrition is a science, but its application is an art, and our Level 4 qualification in Nutrition Coaching seeks to help you bridge the gap between the two. This online certified nutritionist course is ideal for current coaches to upskill; for anyone who is looking to move into the industry as a job or side project; or for anyone looking for the next level in nutrition mastery.
You’ll learn about nutrition, of course, but on top of that, you’ll also be given the skills and support you need to work with real people. We’ll impart the skills so you can truly make a difference in their lives. The course spans twelve months and four bespoke textbooks. This certified nutritionist course is taught by dieticians, sports nutritionists, university lecturers, psychologists, GB athletes and experienced coaches. We want it that way to ensure that the information you’re given isn’t just evidence based. We want it to be practically relevant to you, and everyone you coach.
No prior knowledge is necessary, though we strongly recommend you check out the BTN Foundation Academy if you’ve never studied nutrition before. We’re available globally and can accommodate people from any time zone; all you need is a passion to master nutrition and the art of coaching.
Features and benefits
- Know how to work with a diverse range of clients, with completely different goals
- Massively improve client adherence using the science of behaviour change
- Truly master the anatomy, physiology and endocrinology relevant to nutrition
- Improve your client communication, helping you to navigate client barriers
- Learn how to properly monitor consistency and adherence over time
- Develop ways in which you can provide accountability, mentorship, and support to the client’s you coach
- Be able to assess nutrition clients effectively and efficiently
- Be able to set clients up for long-term, sustainable success
- Increase your critical thinking skills, so you can keep progressing long after you graduate
- Join the BTN community, a group of coaches committed to changing lives
- Learn around work and home life, in your own time
- Gain a Level 4 qualification in Nutrition Coaching
The next BTN Practical Academy start date is 4th May 2020. Your place on the course is only secure when a deposit is made for the monthly payment options or the course is paid in full. Enrol now at either the early bird price of £1875 (inc. VAT), or with monthly payments of £167 over 12 months or £110 of 18 months. Click below and invest in yourself and your future today…
FAQsHow long will it take?
The course will take 12 months to complete. You learn on a week to week basis, involving 3-5 hours per week.
Once you sign up our Academy Manager Tom Bainbridge will be in touch to welcome you aboard and enrol you into your cohorts members' area where you will be able to access module 1 of the course, view your recommended reading list, take note of key dates including assessment dates and course breaks, and give you the option to liaise with Tom to discuss any knowledge gaps you feel you have which we can help you to fill with recommended learning resources, bridging the knowledge gap before the course starts and getting you fully ready to start.
This course allows you to be insured to practice and work as a nutrition coach, both online and offline, as you will have a Level 4 qualification in Nutrition Coaching through Active IQ.
Yes – the official course title is “The Active IQ Level 4 Qualification in Nutrition Coaching”, which sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework at Level 4, making it a level above the Level 3 Personal Trainer Qualification.
The course requires 3-5 hours per week and it’s important for you to stay up to date with your learning, but falling behind a week or two then catching up is no problem. Each module can be completed at any time during the week, in multiple parts if you need.
The BTN Practical Academy is taught by a diverse team of passionate educators who are all specialists in their areas of teaching. Ben Coomber (BSc, CISSN) teaches the ethical and practical coaching modules, Tom Bainbridge (CISSN) teaches modules that form the scientific theory of the course, Heather Osborn (BSc, RD) teaches population specific modules from a dietetics and intervention perspective, Dr Mark Fogerty (Phd) teaches modules centred on human physiology, Alex Manos (IIFMCP, MSc) teaches areas of functional health, the gut & stress, Will Hawkins (MSc) teaches client psychology and the stages of change, Jessie Mundell (MHK, P.KIN) teaches pre and post-natal coaching, Nardia Norman (BSc) teaches female specific nutrition, Phil Paterson (BSc, GB Athlete) teaches our endurance modules, Chris Kitson (M.Ost, Dip.ITS) teaches injury specific modules, and Dave Croslands (PED Specialist) teaches enhanced athlete awareness. A truly diverse and passionate team all with their own specialities which combine to teach an inspiring, broad and detailed nutrition coaching qualification.
Dr Mark Fogerty (PhD) who is the senior lecturer at Hull University Health Sciences Department is our Internal Verifier, this is an important role that upholds our quality standards and assessment consistency. Our External Verification is overseen by our awarding body, Active IQ. This ensures that our internal teaching and marking processes are well managed while adhering to regulated qualification framework requirements. These verification processes ensure we can uphold our qualification status and ensure all students graduate with a qualification in nutrition coaching in a fair and robust way. Each intake is individually assessed by our IV and EV to ensure cohort standards are maintained.
The webinars are held at 11am on Tuesdays, but they are recorded and available later for you to watch if you’re unable to tune in.
If you have never studied nutrition before then yes we recommend you do, to master the fundamentals first before we teach more advanced topics. If you have studied nutrition before and feel competent with the topics taught on the Foundation Academy then you can enrol directly into the practical Academy. If you’re still unsure, book a call with us to chat it over via our ‘talk to us’ page.
Yes, we have worked with students in every continent barring Antarctica because we are a 100% online education company, so study anywhere in the world with us.
Of course, here is the official PDF showing The BTN Practical Academy as an Active IQ qualification in Nutrition Coaching.
Click here to view a PDF of everything we teach on The BTN Practical Academy, our modules in detail.
The BTN Practical Academy opens its doors twice per year and in 2020 we start May 4th and November 2nd. We recommend that you enrol as soon as you are 100% committed to doing the course so we can give you a comprehensive education pathway prior to starting and give you time to do the Foundation Academy first if required. Signing up early via a deposit will also guarantee you get our early bird price. If you have any questions you would like answered, please request a call with us or email firstname.lastname@example.org who will guide you through anything and work with you on an education pathway between now and starting the course which will guarantee success learning with us prepping you well in advance of starting with us./p>
As a Personal Trainer you have access to your clients for only a few hours per week, limiting the effect you can have with them. By offering nutrition coaching as an additional service alongside your exercise coaching you open the door to far better results with clients, leading to better testimonials and more clients over time. Nutrition coaching is also something you can offer as a separate service, enabling you to enter the online marketplace.
Nutrition coaching should always be sold as a stand-alone product or package within a business, and so those who aren’t personal trainers are just as capable of offering a nutrition coaching service as those who are. If you have no interest in working with people in a gym environment but want to help change lives through health and nutritional management then this course can help you do just that.
Of course. When you study with us we want you to enter the course with 100% certainty it’s the right decision for you. If you email email@example.com we can give you a selection of modules to choose from so you can study a week of the course. This way you can see first hand what it’s like to study on The BTN Practical Academy getting a chance to read a textbook module, watch a recorded webinar of that module, and see any accompanying documents for that weeks module. Then you can almost test us and get a feel for exactly how the course runs week to week and how you’ll learn.
Enrolling in a course of this nature is an investment in yourself, your career and your future. Our course is extremely comprehensive and sets you up to coach people from all walks of life, so you have to consider the opportunity cost of completing a qualification in nutrition coaching. Most graduates are charging on average £40 per hour for their services upon graduation, and with our free business academy and mentoring we’ll ensure you can do this. So while it might seem a stretch now, imagine what you could be earning as a coach with these skills and the business training to make it happen. It’s also why we offer monthly payments or the option to spread the payments over 18 months, hopefully making it affordable for all.
ModulesBook 1: The science of nutrition coaching
- Module 1: Course introduction/What is evidence based practice?
- Module 2: What is health?
- Module 3: Critical thinking
- Module 4: Reading research - What do we need?
- Module 5: The digestive system
- Module 6: The fasted and fed states
- Module 7: Energy production and protein synthesis
- Module 8: Coaching weight loss - The stages of change
- Module 9: Coaching weight loss - Barriers and addiction
- Module 10: Coaching weight loss - Nutritional programming
- Module 11: Case study - Weight loss client
- Module 12: Nutritional strategies to maximise hypertrophy
- Module 13: Effective consultations
- Module 14: Tracking and monitoring body composition
- Module 15: Tracking and monitoring nutrient intakes
- Module 16: Effective online coaching
- Module 17: Food environment and habits
- Module 18: Group online weight loss coaching
- Module 19: Stress and your clients' progressModule
- Module 20: Motivational interviewing
- Module 21: Alcohol
- Module 22: Case study - Shift worker
- Module 23: Evidence based nutrition for endurance sports
- Module 24: Assisted athletes
- Module 25: Team sports nutrition
- Module 26: Coaching bodybuilding competition preparation
- Module 27: Nutritional considerations for making weight
- Module 28: Female clients
- Module 29: Pre and post natal clients
- Module 30: Case study - Crossfit athlete
- Module 31: Intermittent fasting
- Module 32: Child nutrition
- Module 33: Helping clients with diabetes
- Module 34: Helping clients with PCOS
- Module 35: Injury recovery nutrition
- Module 36: Ketogenic dieting
- Module 37: Allergy, intolerances and the immune system
- Module 38: IBS
- Module 39: Plant based nutrition
- Module 40: Elderly clients
- Module 41: Eating disorders in the fitness industry
- Module 42: Case study - PCOS
- Module 43: Case study - Female client with multiple barriers
- Module 44: Exam preparation/Final Q&A
What our students say…
CEO at Freedom Nutrition
1-2-1 Personal Trainer and Wellbeing coach in Harrogate
Manages Fit Thru Life
Fitness Coach and Assessor for Premier Global
Female Specialist Fitness and Nutrition Coach from Brighton
Gym Owner in Manchester and Plant Based Specialist
Academy Graduate and Completed Course for Personal Learning
Personal Trainer and Mindset Coach in Liverpool
Academy Graduate, then pursued a Masters in Nutrition
Academy Graduate, then set up Impact Nutrition Coaching
Part-time Nutrition Coach and Full Time PA
Academy Graduate and now looking to change career
1-2-1 coach at Fundamentally Fit in Walton-on-Thames
We’ve taught 1000s of nutrition coaches to date, all out there helping 100s of people change their lives every day, that’s our mission, to teach the nutrition coaches of the future…