Nutrition is a science, but its application is an art, and our Level 4 qualification in Nutrition Coaching seeks to help you bridge the gap between the two. This online certified nutritionist course is ideal for current coaches to upskill; for anyone who is looking to move into the industry as a job or side project; or for anyone looking for the next level in nutrition mastery.
You’ll learn about nutrition, of course, but on top of that, you’ll also be given the skills and support you need to work with real people. We’ll impart the skills so you can truly make a difference in their lives. The course spans twelve months and four bespoke textbooks. This certified nutritionist course is taught by dieticians, sports nutritionists, university lecturers, psychologists, GB athletes and experienced coaches. We want it that way to ensure that the information you’re given isn’t just evidence based. We want it to be practically relevant to you, and everyone you coach.
No prior knowledge is necessary, though we strongly recommend you check out the BTN Foundation Academy if you’ve never studied nutrition before. We’re available globally and can accommodate people from any time zone; all you need is a passion to master nutrition and the art of coaching.
Features and benefits
- Know how to work with a diverse range of clients, with completely different goals
- Massively improve client adherence using the science of behaviour change
- Truly master the anatomy, physiology and endocrinology relevant to nutrition
- Improve your client communication, helping you to navigate client barriers
- Learn how to properly monitor consistency and adherence over time
- Develop ways in which you can provide accountability, mentorship, and support to the client’s you coach
- Be able to assess nutrition clients effectively and efficiently
- Be able to set clients up for long-term, sustainable success
- Increase your critical thinking skills, so you can keep progressing long after you graduate
- Join the BTN community, a group of coaches committed to changing lives
- Learn around work and home life, in your own time
- Gain a Level 4 qualification in Nutrition Coaching
The next BTN Practical Academy start date is 28th October 2019. Enrol now to secure your place at the early bird price which is reserved for the first 100 students paying up front at £1875 (Inc VAT). The normal course price is £2004 (Inc. VAT) paid up front, or you can enrol now with monthly payments at £167 per month.
FAQsHow long will it take?
The course will take 12 months to complete. You learn on a week to week basis, involving 3-5 hours per week.
Once you sign up our Academy Manager Tom Bainbridge will be in touch to welcome you aboard and enrol you into your cohorts members' area where you will be able to access module 1 of the course, view your recommended reading list, take note of key dates including assessment dates and course breaks, and give you the option to liaise with Tom to discuss any knowledge gaps you feel you have which we can help you to fill with recommended learning resources, bridging the knowledge gap before the course starts and getting you fully ready to start.
This course allows you to be insured to practice and work as a nutrition coach, both online and offline, as you will have a Level 4 qualification in Nutrition Coaching through Active IQ.
Yes – the official course title is “The Active IQ Level 4 Qualification in Nutrition Coaching”, which sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework at Level 4, making it a level above the Level 3 Personal Trainer Qualification.
The course requires 3-5 hours per week and it’s important for you to stay up to date with your learning, but falling behind a week or two then catching up is no problem. Each module can be completed at any time during the week, in multiple parts if you need.
The BTN Practical Academy is taught by a diverse team of passionate educators who are all specialists in their areas of teaching. Ben Coomber (BSc, CISSN) teaches the ethical and practical coaching modules, Tom Bainbridge (CISSN) teaches modules that form the scientific theory of the course, Heather Osborn (BSc, RD) teaches population specific modules from a dietetics and intervention perspective, Dr Mark Fogerty (Phd) teaches modules centred on human physiology, Alex Manos (IIFMCP, MSc) teaches areas of functional health, the gut & stress, Will Hawkins (MSc) teaches client psychology and the stages of change, Jessie Mundell (MHK, P.KIN) teaches pre and post-natal coaching, Nardia Norman (BSc) teaches female specific nutrition, Phil Paterson (BSc, GB Athlete) teaches our endurance modules, Chris Kitson (M.Ost, Dip.ITS) teaches injury specific modules, and Dave Croslands (PED Specialist) teaches enhanced athlete awareness. A truly diverse and passionate team all with their own specialities which combine to teach an inspiring, broad and detailed nutrition coaching qualification.
Dr Mark Fogerty (PhD) who is the senior lecturer at Hull University Health Sciences Department is our Internal Verifier, this is an important role that upholds our quality standards and assessment consistency. Our External Verification is overseen by our awarding body, Active IQ. This ensures that our internal teaching and marking processes are well managed while adhering to regulated qualification framework requirements. These verification processes ensure we can uphold our qualification status and ensure all students graduate with a qualification in nutrition coaching in a fair and robust way. Each intake is individually assessed by our IV and EV to ensure cohort standards are maintained.
The webinars are held at 11am on Tuesdays, but they are recorded and available later for you to watch if you’re unable to tune in.
If you have never studied nutrition before then yes we recommend you do, to master the fundamentals first before we teach more advanced topics. If you have studied nutrition before and feel competent with the topics taught on the Foundation Academy then you can enrol directly into the practical Academy. If you’re still unsure, book a call with us to chat it over via our ‘talk to us’ page.
Yes, we have worked with students in every continent barring Antarctica!
Of course, here is the official PDF showing The BTN Practical Academy as an Active IQ qualification in Nutrition Coaching.
Click here to view a PDF of everything we teach on The BTN Practical Academy, our modules in detail.
The BTN practical Academy opens its doors in March, June and October each year. The 28th October 2019 is our next course start date, so ensure you enrol before that date to join the next cohort, especially if you want our early bird price. If you have any questions you would like answered, please request a call with us or email firstname.lastname@example.org
As a Personal Trainer you have access to your clients for only a few hours per week, limiting the effect you can have with them. By offering nutrition coaching as an additional service alongside your exercise coaching you open the door to far better results with clients, leading to better testimonials and more clients over time. Nutrition coaching is also something you can offer as a separate service, enabling you to enter the online marketplace.
Nutrition coaching should always be sold as a stand-alone product or package within a business, and so those who aren’t personal trainers are just as capable of offering a nutrition coaching service as those who are. If you have no interest in working with people in a gym environment but want to help change lives through health and nutritional management then this course can help you do just that.
ModulesBook 1: The science of nutrition coaching
- Module 1: Course introduction/What is evidence based practice?
- Module 2: What is health?
- Module 3: Critical thinking
- Module 4: Reading research - What do we need?
- Module 5: The digestive system
- Module 6: The fasted and fed states
- Module 7: Energy production and protein synthesis
- Module 8: Coaching weight loss - The stages of change
- Module 9: Coaching weight loss - Barriers and addiction
- Module 10: Coaching weight loss - Nutritional programming
- Module 11: Case study - Weight loss client
- Module 12: Nutritional strategies to maximise hypertrophy
- Module 13: Effective consultations
- Module 14: Tracking and monitoring body composition
- Module 15: Tracking and monitoring nutrient intakes
- Module 16: Effective online coaching
- Module 17: Food environment and habits
- Module 18: Group online weight loss coaching
- Module 19: Stress and your clients' progressModule
- Module 20: Motivational interviewing
- Module 21: Alcohol
- Module 22: Case study - Shift worker
- Module 23: Evidence based nutrition for endurance sports
- Module 24: Assisted athletes
- Module 25: Team sports nutrition
- Module 26: Coaching bodybuilding competition preparation
- Module 27: Nutritional considerations for making weight
- Module 28: Female clients
- Module 29: Pre and post natal clients
- Module 30: Case study - Crossfit athlete
- Module 31: Intermittent fasting
- Module 32: Child nutrition
- Module 33: Helping clients with diabetes
- Module 34: Helping clients with PCOS
- Module 35: Injury recovery nutrition
- Module 36: Ketogenic dieting
- Module 37: Allergy, intolerances and the immune system
- Module 38: IBS
- Module 39: Plant based nutrition
- Module 40: Elderly clients
- Module 41: Eating disorders in the fitness industry
- Module 42: Case study - PCOS
- Module 43: Case study - Female client with multiple barriers
- Module 44: Exam preparation/Final Q&A
What our Practical Academy - Oct 19 students say